Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Self-Indulgent Life

"The desire not to be anything is the desire not to be." -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

There are some people who are not motivated to do anything with themselves or with their lives.  Perhaps I'm a typical Type A personality, but for me there needs to be some point to my existence, some reason for my being here.  Maybe there really is no point to our existence, but I don't feel satisfied unless I feel that I've made some kind of difference.  And maybe that's the problem with me.
There are people out there who live only for themselves and are happy with that.  I sometimes wish I could be that way because it seems like a more relaxed, self-indulgent way of living, but I don't know if I would be happy living like that.
When I was 19 and worked at Barnes and Noble,  I came across an individual who had worked there for years and planned on staying there until he retired.  He was single, between 35 and 40 years old, and was a lead bookseller, but did not aspire to ever reach a management position.  I was young and perhaps not as tactful as I should have been when I asked him "So, is this all you want to do? Isn't there anything else you want to do in life?"  Luckily he didn't take offense, but he answered that the job suited his lifestyle.  He worked enough to get by, got out at a decent hour and was able to focus on writing his poetry.
Back then I couldn't understand it.  Here I was in college, trying to make something of myself, and here was this middle-aged man, content with not making anything of himself at all.   But then, who am I to judge this person's choice of lifestyle?  Maybe this is all he wanted out of life.  He enjoys writing poetry, and I can relate because I enjoy writing too. 
I find myself wishing sometimes that I could just have a job instead of a career so that I could do more of the things I like to do.  But I remember that I wasn't happy at Barnes and Noble.  Nor was I happy at the daycare I worked at for two months a couple years ago when I was strapped for cash. So I know I wouldn't be happy with "just a job".
I often wish that I didn't have to work at all, and could devote my time to catching up on my reading and writing.  If my financial circumstances allow that to happen one day, I'd love to try it.  I'd also love to see how long I'd last without getting restless! 
I wish I could live a self-indulgent life, but apparently it isn't for me.  For everyone out there who is able to do so, more power to you.
Just curious what other people think of the Ayn Rand quote...

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with her statement. Just because you dont have a specific plan, does not mean you wish not to be anything at all. Just being in itself is an accomplishment as being content with the most simplistic form of life does not mean you have no desire to be something....you are just being something that is unpopular. Maybe the middle aged man did not want to compromise is desire to be a poet....its not glamorous no the standard definition of successful, but if he is content with what he does, he reached what many people dont, personal satisfaction of their life (super rich CEOs arent always content with their lives)

    ReplyDelete