Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stream of Consciousness:Day 2 (When the eyes of a stranger are upon you...)

Don’t look a crazy person in the eyes because they might just look back at you.  Why is that so scary?  Why do we avoid eye contact with strangers?
Eye contact is special.  There’s a reason why it’s one of the first things you try to teach a child with autism: it establishes a connection.  When someone looks you in the eyes, you suddenly exist to them.  You are acknowledged.  That’s why I avoid eye contact with a crazy person: I don’t want them to be aware of me!
Some people, like myself, are uncomfortable making a connection with a stranger, unless there is an attraction there (and even then I get shy and look away).  Whenever I see an attractive man, I’m not satisfied until I see his eyes.  I watch and wait to see if he’ll look my way, just to catch a glimpse.  What am I looking to find there?  I don’t know.  Perhaps a sneakpeek into his soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment